Re-introducing myself, 5 years on

I can honestly say, I don't know how we got here, five years in and growing all the time. I feel like it's passed in the blink of an eye. So I thought I would write this post, re-introduce myself to new followers and those that have found me on the web.

When I started the shop I had only just lost my mother. She passed quite suddenly, she had been healthy for years, then cancer got her in just three weeks. She was honestly my best friend and my biggest pain in the butt! I was born in the 70's, the youngest child and the only girl. I naturally learnt to sew, knit and crochet along with her. As we got older, we joined various groups and classes, to sew together.

When she passed I was lost. I'm a parent of three, but they were growing up. I'm also the parent of a SEND child, which has it's challenges and it's joy. He's my youngest and was 14 years old when my mam passed, he still has needs but they have changed greatly, so I didn't know what to do with myself. It was Mr. Mam that said "Why don't you open the fabric shop you wanted to?", I had wanted to take over a local fabric shop a few years previously but simply didn't have the money.

That's where our shop story began.

We started with very little. My mother had left her house, which we sold and split the inheritance. I paid of my mortgage, made some improvements to our home and spent a small amount on starting a business. Then, and now, I'm working on a wing and a prayer! My ethos has always stayed the same, however, affordable fabrics for everyone.

I cannot express how grateful I am that, thanks to everyone's support, I'm continually growing. I took over the unit next door, just over, two years ago, to teach people to sew, now I have around twenty people every week coming through the doors. There's a craft group that meets Wednesday evenings and a sewing group every Saturday. The joy it gives me to share my love of sewing with others is indescribable.

So now, here we are, five years in.

I'm doing a giveaway on my Instagram and Facebook, if you would like to have a go. My little fabric shop, otherwise known as my personal fabric stash, that I like to share with you!







Thank you for your continued support

Mam's Fabrics xx 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello There!

I am forgetful

New Stock